Signs of Pregnancy
Letter to You
Why I became an Imperial Shih Tzu breeder
See pups as they are born
First days of heat
Pre Natal Care of pups
Care of the Bitch before and during Pregnancy
Mating your dog
Best days to bred your bitch
His ability to produce sperm and mate and artificial insemination
Is she Pregnant
Signs she is pregnant
Java Due date
Inside her body fertilization to birth
Due Date Chart
Puppies are usually born 61 days after conception
Taking a dogs temperature and recording her temp to predict her whelp day
Print Temp Chart
Taking her temp to determine whelping time
Hemostats, bulb syringes, towels tons of them
Digging, Shivering and Panting
See a Live Birth
See my Shih Tzu deliver a pup
Hard Labor Begins
Whelping the puppies
Aspirating Throat & Nose
Removing Fluids from the nasal passages
How to cut the umbilical cord
Difficult Whelp (Dystocia)
What to do if shes in distress
What Can go Wrong - Movie
Distressed Pup and Mom
Care of Bitch
Discharge, Retained Placentas, Eclampsia
Fading Pup, Bottle Feeding, Tube feeding, Vaccinations
Weaning the pups
Giving the pups food
Disease of Dogs
Distemper, Hepatitis, Parvovirus
ParvoVirus, Parvo Enema, Parvaid
Worms and Fleas
Roundworm, tapeworm, Coccidia, Fleas & Giardia
Selling Your Puppys
Placing your Puppies
Terms of Breeding
Common breeder terms we all should know
More Whelping Photos
Imperial Shih Tzu by Jensen
Imperial Shih Tzu breeder since 1976
Now Chinese Imperial Dog
If my site helped you Donate any $ 1.00 Amount
Canine Reproduction The Series Online Video
Jensen Whelping Guide - Digital E Book!
Buy Both ebook and Video
Signs of Pregnancy
My dogs give me signs, shortly after breeding to let me know that they are pregnant.
1. Her vulva will stay slightly swollen after their heat ends.
2. Her teats ( nipples will be more pronounced and hard.
3. You will notice a big change in her temperament. She may get quieter or lazy or more loving
4. Two weeks after breeding they may experience morning sickness. It can last a week or so. Give her saltene crackers before she gets out of bed and a few throughout the day
By now I know they are pregnant.
Your vet has to wait until day 28-32 of her pregnancy, to palpate the abdomen.
To do this lay your dog on her side, slide one palm beneath her and your other palm over her other side, just below her ribs. Gently squeeze your palms together and feel for little golf balls, these are puppies. If you become good at this, you will be able to count the puppies.
5. In the 4th week you may notice thickening of her sides, between her ribs and hip bone.
6. She may start to show any time after 5 weeks. Larger breeds may carry the pups up in her rib cage so it might not be so easy to notice.
7. Most dogs show at 6-7 weeks. You may notice a normal discharge somewhere in the last couple of weeks. The discharge is clear and has the consistency of thick vaseline and is oderless.
8. In the 8th week you can feel the puppies kick and turn around. I just love this part.
9. If you own a stethoscope you can hear heartbeats in the 8th week. It sounds like short quick tic,tic,tic,tic,tic. I have learned to tell a sex of pup this way. Males tic faster. Like in Morris code, males are the dot, females are the dash.
You can count pups too.
>10. Its safe to get an x-ray in the 8th week, but not just to count pups. Do it only if you suspect she may have a small birth canal which may present a problem.
11. In the 9th week her belly will start to change shape. It appears to lay lower to the ground. This is caused from the pups lining up in the uterine horns. In a human is called when the belly drops.